Friday, January 19, 2007

Provision

"so to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations; a thorn was given me in my flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses , so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
2 Corinthians 12:7-9

Yesterday, I was busy throwing myself a pity party over the state of my finances. Last year, we made the decision to add to and remodel our home which left us house rich and cash poor. I love our home. But, sometimes I covet. (don, don, don...) Yes, me - I covet. I long for new kitchen equipment and enough money to do my grocery shopping at Whole Foods. I want amazing vacations and sometimes even a maid. (imagine that?!) But, then the Holy Spirit led me to remember to:

"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
1 Thess. 5:18



So, what do I have to give thanks for in this circumstance? Only about a gazillion things.

I am thankful for a husband who desires to provide a lovely home for his family.

I am thankful for the way that my cooking skills have developed since restaurants are pretty much out.

I am thankful for learning to make our bread.

I am thankful that I will, come Spring, have a garden. And I pray that it will bear beautiful fruit and vegetables.

I am thankful that I don't have the option to spoil my children with stuff.

I am thankful that a couple of days with my husband home feels like a luxurious vacation.

I am thankful for the satisfaction that comes from that perfect second hand 'find' to add to the beauty of our home.

I am thankful that the Lord constantly keeps me leaning upon his provision, rather than trusting in my own.

I am thankful for the increased lessons in stewardship.

"Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me."
Proverbs 30:8


4 comments:

  1. Again, I really appreciated this post. Jason read it to me right after I came home a little discouraged because there are quite a few things I would like to do to this house we are buying to make it "perfect." But what's really important? Your post reminded me of my proirities, which is sometimes easily forgotten, especially in the world we live in. I am thankful, in addition to many other things, to be buying a home for our family that is close and convenient to Jason's work, our family, and friends. I am thankful that in buying this house, as opposed to a brand new one, we won't be in over our heads in debt. I am thankful that God continually provides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.
    All that we need, like the lilies of the field, the sparrows too.
    This is so encouraging, and a gentle reminder to look around and soak in the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra-got your link through Elise's blog. Beautiful post-what a great reminder for me. I often covet too-I want a bigger house, nicer furniture, etc. But tonight as I was nursing my little girl to sleep and milk was dribbling out the side of her mouth and she was laughing, I thought, "I am so blessed. I don't need anything more." If I could just remember that when those covetous thoughts come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautifil post. I really enjoyed your blog and i look forward to seeing it again! It is so wonderful to connect with other Christian sisters through words and photographs.

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete