Saturday, December 23, 2006

Bread
















I've been baking most of our family's bread for about six months now. I actually really enjoy the process although it can be rather time consuming. I could do it much more quickly if only I had this amazing mixer. Wanna buy it for me? I'll bring you fresh baked bread every week...
Anyways, I still buy bread from the store once in a while. So far, the results have been decent. At least tasting much better than store bought bread. However, I began to wonder what would happen if I quit buying the cheap yeast, and spent a little more on the Fleischmann's. Well, I tried it, and WOW - much better bread!
The moral of this story is don't skimp on major ingredients, buy good quality products - it's worth it.

4 comments:

  1. I have found that buying good quality yeast in bulk is quite economical and it keeps well in the fridge for a good deal longer than the package says! I'm glad you are enjoying breadmaking - it is a wonderful blessing to your family, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell from your picture, but if that is a Bosch I want one too! A friend of mine has one and she is always singing its praises. 5 loaves at a time-WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Randi it is a Bosch - I just recently learned about them. I used to want a Kitchen Aid mixer until I found out about these babies!

    Thanks for the tip Heather. I was never sure about buying the big jars, but I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely buy yeast in bulk. I get mine at Costco. I keep it in the freezer. I made bread by hand through child number three, but got a bread machine with number four. We love our hot bread in the morning. And I often use the dough to make piggies that are as good as Bear Moon's, if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete