Monday, April 2, 2012

Mothers, Don't Be Deceived


Return of the Prodigal Son
by Rembrandt
















Recently, a woman that I know - a beautiful, godly, loving woman - shared with me a heartbreaking struggle that she is walking through with her lovely daughter. My oldest is now twelve, and I am beginning to see that it is not so much if but rather when - my children will face struggles, especially in the teenage years. And, they will probably break my heart at times.

Last night, I was thinking about this dear mother. I hoped and prayed that she has not fallen prey to believing any lies. The prince of this world would very much like to convince sincere mothers that their efforts have not been enough to save their child from pain. He whispers, "You're a failure, how could you not have seen this coming?" The whisper gets louder, and if no one else is shouting in her ears, she just. might. believe the lie.

And so, I am shouting. I am shouting to all of the mothers out there. NEVER FORGET, these children are not ours. Our gracious, heavenly father will do whatever it takes to draw them to himself. Not sometimes, but often, that requires struggle and sometimes even pain. Like the Prodigal Son, He allowed me to plunge into a valley that I might recognize my need for him. Likely, there are many of you who have experienced the same. In fact, even the great King David felt this way about his life:

" Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s."
Psalm 104:2-5 (ESV)

As mothers, we have a great deal of power to raise our children well. We love them and expose them to goodness, truth and beauty daily. But, we are still sinful, broken people raising sinful, broken people in a sinful, broken world. Sometimes, the last truth we have left to cling to is really the only one we needed in the first place.

"Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the almighty reigns."
Revelation 19: 6

Let this truth drive us to our knees as we seek to be stewards of His children, knowing that their lives are in His very capable hands.

1 comment: