Saturday, December 31, 2011

Beginning Anew

A couple of nights ago, I was lying in bed, talking to God silently when it dawned on me. I hadn't done this in quite awhile. Christmas was over and gone, and while I'd gotten in a few advent readings with the kids, I hadn't done much else to focus myself upon the King of Kings humbling himself to earth. Why?

Every year, I sort of dread the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season. I enjoy choosing thoughtful gifts for friends and families, but the stress of doing it all at once gets to me. Then there are the numerous concerts and school performances to prepare for and attend, classroom parties, teacher gifts... I find myself wanting to do it all well, but knowing that I'm not the type of person who can manage too much of this busyness. I don't want to be a complainer. I want to be the woman who enjoys His goodness while keeping my focus on him. But, I'm weak and easily distracted. Lists of gifts yet to buy and errands yet to run occupy my heart and mind. And, like that, I make this world my home and remove heaven from my view.

What I would like to know is HOW do I celebrate joyfully with my eyes on Him? The answer is beginning to materialize. I think it has to begin anew each morning. Each day will have it's stresses and busyness. But if I can begin each morning dedicating that day's lists and activities to Him, seeking His face and wisdom - then maybe it will be out of the fullness He provides that I will be able to live joyfully in the chaos.

The only real difference between my December days and my October ones was that October days began with my Father. Last Summer, I began working on the habit of rising early for exercise and prayer. I was trucking merrily along until the cold, dark mornings settled in. And, I traded those precious minutes of restoration for more time on my pillow.

And so, at the dawn of a New Year, I begin anew. Once again, seeking to form the most life-giving habit that I can. The alarm on my phone is set for seven; that's early enough for tomorrow.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments:

Post a Comment